These Balsamic Chicken Bowls are the perfect easy, healthy dinner! They are so easy to make and come together in 30 minutes, so are great for a busy weeknight meal. This is one of my favorite dinners to make now that we are transitioning into fall (depending on where you live – Tennessee is still HOT!)
WHAT YOU NEED to make balsamic chicken bowls:
- Quinoa: I love eating quinoa because it is packed with fiber and protein! It also cooks a lot quicker than rice so is perfect for busy nights.
- Sweet potato: Honestly sweet potato is one of my favorite foods! It adds so much flavor to a meal and is full of vitamins.
- Chicken: The protein of this dish is chicken, and it is so good with the balsamic marinade! I always make sure to eat a good amount of protein at each meal to keep me full and fuel my body.
- Red onion: I carmelize the onion using what’s left in the pan after I cook the chicken! This adds so much flavor to the caramelized onions!
- Arugula: One of my favorite ways to bulk up any meal is by adding in a few handfuls of greens! Arugula tastes great in this dish because it has a peppery taste and cuts through the sweetness of the dressing and cranberries.
- Dried cranberries: I love adding cranberries for a pop of sweetness, they taste so good! I like to buy reduced sugar cranberries and add just enough to get a delicious taste in every bite without adding too much sugar.
- Goat cheese: The crumbled goat cheese is my FAVORITE part of this dish. It’s rich, creamy and pairs perfectly with the sweet potato and cranberries. If you don’t like goat cheese you can sub for feta, it tastes delicious too!
TOOLS THAT I USE TO MAKE COOKING THIS A BREEZE
The key to a quick and easy dinner is using the right kitchen tools! I want cooking to be quick and easy with minimal clean up. Here are the tools that I used to make the Balsamic Chicken Bowls
- Air fryer: I love air frying sweet potato, it is makes them perfectly golden and crispy on the outside, and soft in the center! This is my favorite air fryer!
- Pan set: This is my favorite pan set to cook with, I love using the skillet to cook chicken because it is completely non-stick and made with a non-toxic coating so you can feel good about cooking with them! Plus they come in so many gorgeous colors to match your kitchen decor. You can use the discount code ‘CLAIRENOLANN10VIP’ for 10% off Caraway!
- Knife set: If you want a great quality, affordable knife set look no further! This knife set is made from high-quality stainless steel, and comes with a storage block that looks great on your counter with a built in knife sharpener.
Balsamic Chicken Bowl
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- olive oil spray
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
Maple Dijon Dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Add quinoa and water to a saucepan. Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling turn the heat to low and simmer until the water is absorbed. Remove from the burner and let it rest covered.
- Dice sweet potato, then add to an air fryer basket. Spritz with olive oil spray, add salt and toss well. Air fry at 400F for 15 minutes or until golden on the outside and soft in the center.
- Butterfly chicken in half lengthwise and add to a bowl with balsamic vinegar, garlic powder and salt. Toss to coat. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spritz with olive oil spray. Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side until cooked through, then remove from the pan.
- Add the sliced red onion to the pan with a tbsp of water. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until caramelized.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the maple dijon dressing.
- Add arugula and warm quinoa to the base of a salad bowl or plate. Top with roasted sweet potato, sliced chicken, caramelized onions, cranberries and goat cheese. Drizzle on the dressing, and enjoy!