This Green Goddess Shrimp Bowl is a summer favorite! Fluffy brown rice topped with sauteed zucchini and pan-seared shrimp with a delicious, flavor-filled green goddess dressing. This easy meal is done in less than 30 minutes and is the perfect healthy dinner to whip up this summer.
Why I love cooking shrimp
Shrimp is one of my favorite proteins to cook, especially in the summer! They are delicious, full of protein, and the best part is they take just a few minutes to cook. Shrimp are also a very lean source of protein, they have little to no fat and are very high in protein! Just 3 ounces of shrimp contains 20g of protein, and I love that they take on the flavor of whatever seasoning or sauce you cook them in so they are very versatile!
How to thaw frozen shrimp
I like to buy bags of frozen wild-caught shrimp and keep them in my freezer for a quick and easy meal. To thaw them, I just take them out of the freezer and dump the shrimp into a bowl cold water. After about 10 minutes they should be completely thawed. Then just drain the water, pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, add your favorite seasonings and you are ready to cook!
This is my favorite pan set to cook with, I love using the skillet to pan-sear the shrimp. They are non-stick and are made with a non-toxic coating so you can feel good about cooking with them! Plus they come in so many gorgeous colors to match your kitchen decor. You can use the discount code ‘CLAIRENOLANN10VIP’ for 10% off Caraway!
What is green goddess dressing?
Green goddess dressing is a delicious, creamy salad dressing that is packed with lots of fresh herbs and lemon. It is very light and fresh tasting, and has a beautiful green color (hence the name). It can be made a variety of ways, typically with a base of mayo or sour cream, then lots of fresh herbs, anchovies, lemon, salt and pepper.
I like to make a lightened-up version of green goddess dressing by using plain greek yogurt as the base. It makes it creamy and delicious, but a lot lower in fat and calories than if it were made with mayo or sour cream. I love to use full-fat plain greek yogurt because it is so thick and creamy, but you can also sub with non-fat if you want to make it even lighter! Not only is this greek yogurt green goddess dressing delicious, but it is also good for you! The greek yogurt adds protein while all of the fresh herbs add a boost of vitamins and nutrients.
I add all of the ingredients to my favorite blender and blend it for about 30 seconds until it is smooth and creamy. I love this blender for making sauces and dressings because it is so easy to clean and you can throw it in the dishwasher!
What you need to make green goddess shrimp bowls
- Brown rice: A great source of carbs to give you energy, and fiber to keep you full! You could also use white rice or quinoa for this recipe.
- Arugula: One of my favorite leafy greens, it adds a peppery taste and an extra serving of veggies! If you want you could also use spinach, kale or mixed greens.
- Zucchini: I love zucchini, and they are very plentiful this time of year! Zucchini cooks up so quickly and is delicious in this meal.
- Shrimp: I like to buy frozen wild-caught shrimp. Look for shrimp that is PEELED so you don’t have to spend 20 minutes over the kitchen sink peeling off their shells!
- Spices: One of the best parts about this recipe is that you make your own seasoning blend and use half on the zucchini and half on the shrimp. So easy!
kitchen favorites that I use to cook this meal
- Non-stick, non-toxic skillet (Use the discount code ‘CLAIRENOLANN10VIP’ for 10% off!)
- Easy to clean blender
- Affordable, high-quality knife set
- My favorite rice cooker
Green Goddess Shrimp Bowl
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- 2 cups arugula or mixed greens
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- 1 green onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then add to a rice cooker or saucepan with a lid. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat, cover and simmer until all of the water is absorbed (about 30 minutes). Remove from heat and let it sit covered for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
- In a small bowl mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes and salt. Slice zucchini into quarters and peel the shrimp.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and half of the seasoning mix. Sauté for about 10 minutes until the zucchinis soften, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the other 1 tsp of olive oil to the skillet, then add shrimp and the other half of the seasoning. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side until they are no longer translucent.
- Add all ingredients for the green goddess dressing to a blender and blend for 30 seconds until creamy and smooth.
- Time to assemble! Divide brown rice and arugula to the base of two salad bowls. Add zucchini and shrimp on top, then drizzle on the green goddess dressing. Garnish with fresh parsley and a lemon wedge, and ENJOY!