Sometimes it’s hard to know what to make for lunch. It’s the middle of the day, you are busy with work, school, or daily tasks, and you just want something quick and easy.
The easiest choice might be getting takeout or grabbing fast food, but we all know that this isn’t the most healthiest choice – or the best for our bank accounts.
I have solved this problem by finding ways that I can make my lunch in less than 10 minutes.
Here are a couple strategies to making your lunch super quick and easy:
- Prep your carb and protein source ahead of time. For example, on a Sunday choose and cook a source of protein (ex. chicken, ground beef, ground turkey) and a source of carbs (ex. rice, quinoa, potatoes). Refrigerate them in containers so come lunch time, all you have to do is add veggies/sauce/toppings – no cooking involved!
- Make an extra serving of dinner and portion it into a container for an easy lunch the next day
- Have go-to lunches on a weekly rotation. Make sure that it is a meal that you LOVE! For example, one week I will have eggs and avocado toast every single day for lunch. No planning, no extra groceries. Change it up week by week so you don’t get bored!
The *key* that I have learned that has changed the game for me is how to make a balanced lunch (or any meal for that matter). It takes all the guess work out of meal planning, and helps you make every meal nourishing and satisfying.
At every meal, make sure your plate has:
- A fiber filled carb: Carbs give you energy, and high fiber carbs digest slower to keep you satisfied for longer.
- A protein: Essential for muscle growth and helping your body repair tissue, and is the most filling nutrient.
- A healthy fat: Gives your body energy, supports hormones, and helps your body absorb vitamins and nutrients.
After your plate has these three macronutrients, you can ~accessorize~ with veggies, dressings, spices, toppings etc. to add flavor and micronutrients!
Eating a balanced lunch will give you energy to power through your day, keep you satisfied to avoid hunger and cravings, and will nourish your body, making you feel (and look) you best!