Here’s how I make my protein oats (or proats, as some call it!)
I would say that protein oats are my most eaten, go-to, favorite easy breakfast. They only take a few minutes to make, are super nutritious, and you can change up the flavor and toppings really easily.
I’m also a sweet breakfast person. Don’t get me wrong, I love eggs and bacon but find myself eating ‘savory’ breakfast foods for lunch, rather than for breakfast. If you follow me on social media, you will know I am a biggg brunch for lunch girl!
In the morning I want my coffee, and my delicious warm bowl of oats. I love changing up the flavor too, sometimes I add cocoa powder and make chocolate brownie oats. If you have chocolate for breakfast it just sets you up to have a great day…
Anyway, besides the taste, there is another reason why I love eating my protein oats every morning. They are super nutritious, and are a perfect balanced meal!
There are 3 main things you need for a well balanced meal:
- a source of carbs
- a source of protein
- a source of fat
(These are called macronutrients).
That’s the base of every meal that I make. Then, you can add the fun ingredients that add more nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants… the good stuff!
(These are called micronutrients).
My protein oats contain all three of the macronutrients:
- oats = carbs
- protein powder = protein
- nut butter = fat
When it comes to protein powder, I have been using the same brand for over a year now. I use Promix vanilla whey protein powder, and in my opinion it is the best protein powder out there! The whey is from grassfed cows, it has very clean ingredients, no artificial sweeteners or gums, and is made in the USA! If you would like to try Promix out, you can use the code CLAIRE for 15% off every order.
Then I like to add fruit, cinnamon, honey, etc. on top to add more nutrients (and flavor!)
The result of this is a breakfast that is nourishing and delicious, but is also very filling and will keep you satisfied until lunch.
Try it out and you’ll see what all the hype is about!
- 1/2 cup oats (I use quick oats)
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (use code: CLAIRE for 15% off Promix protein powder)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup berries (or any fruit)
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- Add oats, water and a pinch of salt to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute so that the oats cook.
- Stir in protein powder and vanilla extract.
- Microwave for 30-45 seconds, depending on personal preference. Shorter cooking time will make more gooey oats, and longer cooking time will make more cakey oats.
- Add berries and nut butter on top. Drizzle with honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!