Once the weather starts to warm up, I love to make big, fresh salads for dinner. If I had to pick my favorite salad, I think that it would be this one right here. The roasted beets are sweet and pair perfectly with the savory, creamy goat cheese. The sweetness of the candied walnuts balances out the tart, zesty dressing. I guarantee that this will be one of your most loved salads this summer!
Not only is this salad delicious, but it is also packed with superfoods to make you look and feel your best. Beets are loaded with nutrients… I mean look at the color of them! Beets contain nitrates that help reduce blood pressure, improve circulation, and boost brain health, so they are a staple in my diet. Walnuts are full of healthy fats and Omega-3, which is incredible for heart health, and are the secret to glossy hair and glowing skin. The dressing that tops this salad includes lemon juice and honey, which are both anti-inflammatory and immune boosting foods!
I served this salad with grilled chicken for protein, so you can enjoy this salad as your main course or as a side. I hope you love it!
Summer Beet Salad with Zesty Lemon Dressing
For the salad
- 3 cups arugala (adjust amount of greens as needed)
- 3 cups baby kale
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- olive oil spray
- 3 raw beets (remove beet greens)
- 4 servings goat cheese
For the dressing
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 chopped shallot
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- sea salt
Prepare salad ingredients
- Spray walnuts with olive oil spray, and toss with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Air fry or bake at 400°F for 5 minutes or until walnuts are golden brown, tossing every few minutes. Be careful, they burn easily! Set aside and let cool.
- Wash, peel, and chop beets into 1 inch cubes. Spray with olive oil spray, and air fry or bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes. The beets should be roasted on the outside, and soft in the middle.
- Zest and juice a whole lemon. In a blender, add 1/2 the lemon zest and all of the lemon juice. Save the rest of the zest for garnishing the salad.
- Slice half of a shallot and add to the blender, along with the minced garlic. Save the rest of the shallot for garnishing the salad. Add honey, olive oil, a pinch of sea salt, and a few cracks of black pepper to the blender.
- Blend all ingredients for 30 seconds, until everything is emulsified.
- Taste dressing. If it is too tart, add a little more honey and olive oil.
- Wash arugula and baby kale and place in a serving bowl.
- Arrange roasted beets, candied walnuts, the remaining sliced shallot, and crumbled goat cheese on top of the greens.
- Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad, and sprinkle remaining lemon zest on top. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply