The classic wedge salad… a favorite of many. A very simple salad, featuring only a few key ingredients. The star of the show is the blue cheese dressing. When I taste blue cheese dressing, I can instantly tell if it is from the bottle or homemade. Homemade blue cheese dressing is richer, creamier and packs a stronger blue cheese flavor. Once I started making my blue cheese dressing from scratch, I never went back to store-bought, and you won’t either!
I like to use full fat greek yogurt as the base of my blue cheese dressing. This gives it a rich, creamy texture while still feeling light and fresh. The yogurt also gives the dressing a delicious tang that enhances the blue cheese flavor. I choose to use greek yogurt as the base of many of my creamy dressings, not just because of its taste, but because of its health benefits. Greek yogurt is full of probiotics that are great for your gut, and is also a great source of protein and healthy fat. So, if you generally steer away from creamy dressings because of the way they make you feel after, give greek yogurt a try!
Iceberg Wedge Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
For the salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 4 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon (optional)
For the dressing
- 1 cup full fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Prepare the salad ingredients
- Remove the outer leaves of the iceberg wedge, and chop off the stem. Slice the head of iceberg in half, and then once more so that you have 4 quarters.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise. Remove the outer layers of the red onion, and slice in half. Slice each half into half-moon shaped slices.
Make the dressing
- In a bowl or jar, add greek yogurt, blue cheese crumbles, the juice of 1/2 a lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir very well to combine, and add more salt and pepper to taste. You can add more lemon juice if the dressing is too thick.
Assemble the salad
- Place each iceberg wedge on a plate. You can place 2 wedges on a plate if you would like a bigger salad, or use 1 per plate for smaller salads.
- Distribute the blue cheese dressing on top of the wedges with a spoon. Top salads with sliced cherry tomatoes and red onions. If you would like to add bacon, crumble the cooked bacon into small pieces and add on top. Garnish with extra blue cheese crumbles and a little lemon zest. Enjoy!